WOODEN SPORTS COMPLEX: SMC2 SOLUTIONS
As a specialist in wooden structures, SMC2 supports all local authorities, private clubs, companies and others in their ambition to build a wooden sports complex. On the agenda: a building dedicated to sports that combines innovation, respect for the environment and architectural creativity.
THE CHOICE OF WOOD AS A MATERIAL FOR YOUR SPORTS COMPLEXES
It is no longer a secret. For many years now, wood has been one of the most popular building materials. It has to be said that timber construction has many advantages, which are inherent to the many strengths of timber:
- It has a mechanical performance that makes it possible to integrate it into complex structures;
- It offers an architectural quality and an aestheticism that is highly prized by lovers of modern and contemporary buildings;
- It is economical compared to other building materials;
- It is ecological with its inclusion in the challenges of sustainable development and environmental preservation;
- It is efficient with very good thermal insulation, excellent fire resistance and high resistance to earthquakes;
- It allows for clean and fast construction sites.
Focus on the importance of wood construction in the context of climate change
In 2020, it is impossible for contractors and municipalities to consider the construction of a building (sports complex or other) without integrating the challenges of climate change. The use of wood as a building material meets this objective of a virtuous construction for the planet with a renewable material and a positive impact on greenhouse gas emissions.
A TAILOR-MADE WOODEN SPORTS COMPLEX
Avec une grande liberté architecturale, le bois ouvre la porte de complexes sportifs sur-mesure, capables de répondre à toutes les exigences à la fois en termes de visuel et en termes d’usages. Avec le complexe sportif en construction bois, vous êtes libre d’imaginer :
- The construction of a multi-sports hall accessible to different types of public;
- A gymnasium conceived and designed to accommodate all types of activities: shows, team sports, competitions, cultural events;
- A sports complex geared towards competition with infrastructures dedicated to the highest level;
- A sports complex that fits perfectly into a natural landscape or, conversely, becomes a natural lung in an urban centre marked by the omnipresence of concrete.
DIFFERENT CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUES FOR A WOODEN SPORTS COMPLEX
For all their projects, the SMC2 teams ensure that they use construction techniques adapted to the constraints and requirements of the site and your specifications. For the construction of a wooden sports complex, various techniques such as the use of solid wood panels, framed caissons, and post and beam structures are studied. All of them can be adapted to the constraints (fire resistance, etc.) and/or to the nature of the activities. With the use of complementary materials, such as textile membranes and ETFE, the wooden sports complex also benefits from an optimised natural light supply for the practice of sports and to reduce the building’s energy consumption.
ILLUSTRATION OF SMC2 SKILLS: EXAMPLE OF THE WOODEN SPORTS COMPLEX IN AVENCHES
At the beginning of 2013, the municipality of Avenches, in Switzerland, chose to place its trust in RealSport (SMC2’s Swiss distributor) for the construction of a customised wooden sports complex. With their expertise, RealSport and SMC2 delivered in a few months a complex designed to accommodate the practice of three major sports in the region: football, skater hockey and judo. On the ground, this sports complex in wood construction has the following characteristics
- Total floor area: 1160 m2 ;
- Total covered area, including eaves: 1500 m2 ;
- 1 cafeteria for 80 people, ancillary rooms, WC;
- 10 players’ changing rooms and 2 referees’ changing rooms, ancillary rooms;
- 1 Dojo with changing rooms and ancillary premises.
Learn more about the advantages of wood: